What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

What if you could spend one last day with someone you lost? Spoilers maybe?

That's the tagline for the book Goodbye Days by Jeff Zentner.  The book is about a young man who texts his friend while his friend is driving a car filled with his other friends and his friend texts back, resulting in an accident that kills everyone in the car.  Carver Briggs is left with the grief of losing all of best friends and the guilt of being responsible.  Was he responsible?  At first I thought, "no way, not at all!" but then the book goes on to reveal that Carver did think that his friend was driving and purposely texted that friend anyway because he was the friend most likely to return his text right away.  So he did know that his friend would text him while driving.  So does that make him guilty of involuntary manslaughter?  Judges in real life have ruled that if the person texting the driver who was involved in an accident knew that the recipient of their texts was driving, they are responsible.   I am ashamedly guilty of doing this.  And I am going to stop.  I know people who put an auto block on their texts when they are driving and I get a "Driving now, will text back later," message in response.  This is a good thing!  I was trying for a while to figure out how to make my iPhone do that, but I never figured it out.  The friends I have who do this have droids.
Zentner's book is really good.  It isn't preachy.  It is diverse and inter-generational, too.  I really, really liked this book and look forward to reading more from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment