What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, February 6, 2017

Just Something Different

Last Seen Leaving was the kind of book I haven't read in a long time.  I bought it on audible after I saw it on the shelf at my local library.   I read the jacket and thought it sounded really good.  And it was really good!  I mean it wasn't WOW but it was good for what it was and easy to recommend.  The language is rough, if that bothers you.  But some teenagers do talk this way.  Flynn is only 15 but he seems older.  His vocabulary is quite large.  Here is something that I liked about it.  Flynn is gay and he is worried about coming out.  In so many teen books these days coming out doesn't seem like a big deal at all.  I just don't know if that is true for everyone.  Maybe it is.  It would be nice! Because gay or straight doesn't matter and should someone have to "come out" as straight, too?  But I think that some people might have a hard time coming out.  And even though the people in Flynn's world are very supportive, Flynn still has a hard time in his head.  I just thought that was good.  Kinda a shout-out to those who are struggling with coming out (which I wish no one had to and heck, maybe Flynn IS the only one who has a hard time with it anymore.  Wouldn't that be a wonderful world!) but maybe since I can be a pessimist sometimes, I think maybe there is at least a few kids out there who aren't so excited about announcing their sexuality.  In reality, it can be a cruel world.

No comments:

Post a Comment