What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Battle of the Books

I have facilitated battles of the books for groups of students and for families, but I have never participated in one, but that is all going to change at the end of November!  The Vacationers is the first book I have read from the list and I have made notes for myself and my teammates!  I gave this one 2 stars but it is more like 2 1/2 stars, I guess.  Thing is, this is NOTHING like my kind of book.  Nothing at all.  It is so far away from what I read and like that it is in another galaxy!  But a lot of people would like this book!  And the thing is, I didn't hate it, even though it is NOTHING like books I enjoy.  It's a family story and about marriage and infidelity and no one gets murdered.  I know that sounds terrible, but there is no mystery.  It reminded me in a way of Last Night at the Lobster just because nothing happens.  But for me, Lobster was much more enjoyable.  Still I am super happy to be a part of the BOB in Bethel Park!  Only thing is, as I was just looking at what tags to put on this entry, I came across Dysfunctional Families and remembered that the theme of the BOB books is Dysfunctional Families. But to be honest, I can't say that the Post family is "dysfunctional."  In fact, out of all of the books I have written about here, I have only dubbed two as such.  And whoa, they were pretty dysfunctional! I wonder if the families in the other books are as dysfunctional as those I have tagged as such or pretty normal, like I found this family to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment