What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, January 13, 2020

Yeah...

In 2020 I have already read 1.5 David Levithan books.  He didn't show his disdain for we who are not in great physical shape in either!  Turning over a new leaf?  Or did you put some weight on, Mr. L.?  19 Love Songs is a collection of short stories and it was uneven.  Levithan appeals to me a lot more when he didn't clearly telling his own story.  The story about the love between his mom and dad and the one about a protest he attended after the 2016 election are exceptions.  The mom-dad was decent.  The protest one was excellent.  It made me remember our church's response to the election.  Offering prayer/support time for those who felt particularly threatened by the horrible, horrible person who took office.  It was such an awful time.  Here at work, too.  We were just devastated.  And what is worse, his time in office has turned out to be even more damaging and hate-filled than expected.  And we are in for many more years to come.
I will say it here, and I think I said it before, he will win this year and in 2024 he will win again.  People say, "that can't happen" but think of all of the things about which we have already said just that.  Yet his evil persists.  Not just his hate, but the hate his supporters show as well. 
The snow day story and the story about Infinite Darlene were really, really good.
The rest were okay but the ones about Levithan himself, I mean, I know even his fiction has parts of himself in it, but the ones that were clearly Levithan telling a personal story, I could barely get through them.   

No comments:

Post a Comment