What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Two Sides of the Same Coin


I know that I have talked about this before, but when I get "high and mighty" about being a 'progressive Christian" (what I call just following Jesus!), I am reminded of my progressive pastor at one of my progressive and incredible churches, East Liberty Presbyterian.  Dr. Bush reminded us that the right and left are simply two sides of the same coin, and we need to acknowledge how very thin the coin is.  Before I read Everybody Always, I read Love Does and before I read either one I tried to get a sense of the author, Bob Goff. Does he REALLY follow Jesus? 
(Yes I am embarrassed that I think I have the audacity to ask this question.) The litmus test for me is, where does the author or pastor or priest or person stand on same-gender love issues.  I just that speaks volumes.  I can't understand how people who are trying to follow Christ can condemn, and when I say condemn, I also mean those "hate the sin, love the sinner" people, because of whom they love and with whom they express their love.
As long as a relationship is a God-glorifying one, meaning it is not exploitative and is between two people who have equal power and voice in the relationship and are not trying to hurt or exploit or manipulate anyone else as part of that relationship, if it is a true, expression of love, then it is God-glorifying.  One's anatomy doesn't matter.  Well I read the books before I was able to find anything out either way, but from the books I had the sense that Mr. Goff was all inclusive in his love and acceptance of God's people, even if they loved people with the same body parts.  I couldn't be sure and I love to be sure about this, but as it turns out, he really is one
of those people who loves people who love people, even if they have the same body parts! 
So.
That is just a long way of saying, if Goff was one of those "hate the sin, love the sinner" people or openly anti-love, God is still using him in amazing ways.  Because these books were wonderful examples of ways to live in the world and share God's extravagant love!

No comments:

Post a Comment