What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, September 26, 2016

Henry

A million  years ago, my dear, sweet Joanie and I went to see Henry:  Portrait of a Serial Killer at the Carnegie Museum of Art when they used to have film series there.  They still might, but Joanie has gone to her Reward and so I haven't checked.  The series was a banned film one.  I may have written about it on here.  But anyway, this movie was some else.  And while reading My Life Among the Serial Killers:  Inside the Minds of the World's Most Notorious Murderers, I was reminded of him more than once.  Henry, that is.  What first brought the movie and character to mind was when Dr. Helen Morrison (who is from Greensburg) said that serial killers are not addicted to drugs, alcohol or even smoking.  And also when she made it very clear that serial killers on tv and in the movies are not like them in real life.  Also profilers, which is what she has done.  It was very interesting to learn where the brain of John Wayne Gacy is at this very moment!
I really did find this book very interesting.  What I found surprising was that this book was written "with" someone, and right away I realized it was ridiculous that I found this surprising!  A lot of times books by "stars" are written "with" "real" writers.  So I guess I thought, "Dude, a super-brilliant doctor should be able to write a book by herself!"  But man, that is so wrong!  Just because someone is super-brilliant at one thing, or even many things, doesn't mean she or he will be super-brilliant at EVERYTHING!
Anyway, this was a very good book!

No comments:

Post a Comment