What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Watch Out for the Quiet Ones

Mindy McGinnis has written a tough book.  The Female of the Species starts tough and ends tough.  I loved, loved, loved the character of Peekay, the Preacher's Kid and her parents.  I feel like this was one of those books that really got church right.
The story is told from the POVs of Peekay, Jack and Alex.  Alex is the main character, he sister was raped and murdered by a local man who didn't go to prison due to lack of evidence.  Jack is the guy who falls in love with her, willing to forget his playboy self and just be faithful to Alex.
The book is raw and, I saw someone on goodreads call it brutal, and it is.  It is real life in its worst of times.  But very realistic.
There are stories about abuse to animals, because Alex and Peekay volunteer in an animal shelter, so some of that will be hard to take for some, but it no where compares to the abuse done to humans in the book.  This is getting Printz buzz and I can see why.

No comments:

Post a Comment