What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Loss

Is never, ever easy.  History is All You Left Me was a book I changed from 4 to 3 stars just because I really didn't enjoy listening to it and for me I thought it could have been a bit shorter.  I would have maybe liked an abridged version!  It just seemed to drag for me.  However, it was very good in that it captured the feeling of the incredible loss that comes when a loved one dies.  My best friend died in 2005 and there is not a day that goes by that I don't think of her.  Our friendship was not romantic at all, we were best friends, but I loved her very much.  Her youngest son died tragically last year and that was so very hard and her husband went Home that year as well.  I don't think either of them recovered from Joanie's death, to be honest.  So I appreciate the way in which Silvera really makes Griffin's love and loss honest and real.  This is one of those things that I think must be hard to do if one hasn't had the experience, but maybe not.  I also completely loved the way in which it was no big deal at all (very Christ-like) that Theo and Griffin were boyfriends.  The "what body parts does the person you love have?" issue didn't really come up and I think that is just beautiful.  This is hopeful, this is Christ-like.  This is the way things should be.  I am not sure if it is Printz worthy though.  But assuredly close!

No comments:

Post a Comment