What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Tough, tough, tough read...

I couldn't wait for The Journey of Little Charlie to come out.  I bought it right away and listened to it yesterday.  Christopher Paul Curtis is an incredible author.  Although my expectations were very high, the book exceeded them and as time passes since I finished it last night, my respect and high praise for this book just grows and grows. 
It haunts me and I think it will for a long time.
Let's face it, any book that deals with the evils of slavery is going to be a hard one.  But a necessary one. 
I hated Little Charlie, I hated his mother, I hated Cap' n Buck.  I have hope for Little Charlie, yes, but I still hated him.  And I know he just knew what he knew.  But how could one NOT know that what he believed about slavery was wrong?  How?
Are there things that I think are okay but I am as blind as Little Charlie?  This haunts me. 
Exceptional book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment