What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Maybe

It's because I seem to have read a lot of books lately in which the main character is an aspiring writer or painter or musician, but those around the main character think that their art is a waste of time or a good hobby, but won't pay the bills.  Local Girl Swept Away was like that, too.  The main character is an aspiring artist and her family is a very blue-collar fishing family in Provincetown, MA.  What I did really like about it was the way that the mom was portrayed.  That seemed very real to me.  I hate to be critical about books of this type, because I know that is very important, that people do try to pursue their dreams and I know it is common for someone to have a dream about making it in a career that is hard.  I mean, as I think about it, my parents were NOT thrilled when I decided to go to seminary instead of law school.  Any my friend who is a pastor was not too excited when his daughter decided to go into the ministry, knowing the challenges, instead of the sciences, at which she also excelled.  So I get it, I do.  And again, this is just a reflection upon what I feel about the book, not about what others might feel.  So if you or someone you love is finding themselves in a situation like this, you might need this book!  Interestingly though, that is not the main part of the book!  Read the description and you will see that it is much more about deception and friendship and doing what is right, even when you don't really know what the right thing might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment