What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Go To Author

Frances O'Roarke Dowell is a go-to-author of mine and so after finishing Chicken Boy I picked up Where I Want to Be. I am burning through the books this year, at 50 already, but who knows what the rest of the year will show, but for now, I am doing well.
This is a pretty sad book, dealing with foster care and all of its sadness and mess.  Maddie is a young girl living in a group home, after her mother gave her up and the old woman she was staying with lost her eyesight and was no longer able to care for her.  Maddie has great spirit and you can't help but love her.  The book centers around her befriending a new girl in the home and picking a group of friends who build a fort in the yard of a boy from school.  The boy has a family, but it is easy to see that he is also not really part of a home either, as his parents pretty much ignore him.  The book raises a lot of good questions about what makes a house a home and what makes a family.  Good, sweet story.
Oh yeah!  It is set in Tennessee.

No comments:

Post a Comment