What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Friday, November 23, 2012

Even if...

the main character of Slide, Sylvia (Vee) is one of those "music is my life" folks, I loved this book so much.  I just tore through it because it is written with such a nice flow and the Vee is a very likable main character.
The deal with Vee is that she is a narcoleptic and when she passes out or falls asleep she can "slide" into other people.  See what they are seeing, hear what they are hearing.  When she is emotional enough, she can even make them do things.  The deal is that she has to be touching an object that belongs to someone else and the someone else has to have had an emotional feeling about that object.  Okay I don't get the paranormal stuff, but the characters are so good and the book is just so good I don't care.  Vee's mom died when she was little so she and her dad and her little sister, Mattie have a lot of grieving issues.  There's just a lot going on in this book.  When Mattie's best friend kills herself, Vee knows that she really didn't kill herself, but instead she was murdered.  But what is she going to do?  Go to the police and say, "I slid into the killer and well..."
In one way I was sad that this is a series.  Like my friend Kara says, "Sometimes it is good just to have one solid book, not a new series."  And this book definitely stands on it own.  It's not like it leaves you hanging.  But in another way, I am glad there will be another book, because this book was really good.
For the same reasons, I felt mixed about The Shadow Society NOT being a series.  I mean, I will miss the characters!  But it was just one, really good book!  
Oh another cool thing, this book was set in Iowa! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment