What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, November 29, 2012

A Little John Denver Never Hurt Anyone

Here's John Denver singing And So It Goes, the song that kept going through my head while I read Ashes, with NGDB.
In Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick, everything does turn to dust.  Well, the world as we know it, that is.  We don't know why, exactly, in this first book in a trilogy, except that is has to do something with EMPs.  It might have been a war, it might have been terrorism, not sure, because well, all communication is gone.  And a lot of people are dead.  And some people are "changed"- meaning that they have turned into zombie types that eat people.  Some people though are enhanced.  Like Alex, who is a brave and tough chick.  She sets out on a hiking trip up through Michigan.  I think she is going to the UP, but I am not sure.   Either way, she doesn't really get to do what she wants to do, which is spread her parents ashes before she dies of the brain tumor that is killing her, because of the EMP thingy.
This is not a happy story.  But it is a really good one.  It is almost two stories though.  First there is the survival story that is about 60% of the book.  Then there is the cult type story after that.  Both are good. They are just really different.  This is a gory kind of book, too.  It is almost 500 pages, but the chapters are very short with makes it really easy to read, if you don't like long books, like I.  Anyway, gross and creepy and great characters.  I loved it.  And it is Michigan so I am reading around the USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment