What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, November 13, 2017

Monsters Among Us

I really, really loved Saints and Misfits.  I loved the way in which it was a story in which Janna's faith was and wasn't the focus of the book.  I mean, it wasn't preachy.  It wasn't gimmicky.  It was the story of a girl who happened to be Muslim and her faith is important, but also it wasn't ALL that she was.  It wasn't a "Token Muslim" book.  Nor was it a story in which her faith was down-played.  It was just so really well done, you know?  S.K. Ali also does an excellent job of making Janna more than the "Girl Who is Sexually Assaulted."  Just a great, great, really well done book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment