What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Easy on the Eyes

My mother is in love with Sam Shephard.
She is in love with a lotta guys, actually.
And the ones she finds to be super handsome, like Sam Shepherd, she is just batty about them.
It began with Crimes of the Heart and then she was hopeless since Baby Boom.
We knew he was a playwrite.  And an award-winning one at that.  I guess I always thought that he was an actor first and then a playwrite.  But someone, it seems even cooler, more amazing that he was an award-winning playwrite before I even knew he did picture shows, as they say.
Buried Child won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1979.
This story is really powerful and moving and hard.  It is the story of a family pretty much falling apart because of a series of horrible, horrible choices.  Ones that will haunt and torture them until they die.  It is not a feel-good story.  It will stay with you, though, for sure.  And make you a lot happier about your own lot in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment