What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Fever

Burning is the first book I've read by Elana K. Arnold, but it won't be my last. I am thankful to the publisher for making the eARC available on netgalley.com. This was just such a different book with a great ending that didn't seem like a rip-off. Layla is of the Romani people- a gypsy. She and her family have traveled to Nevada, headed to Reno to buy cars for their used car dealership back home in the most miserable city of Portland, OR. On the way the family stops near Gypsum, NV for the Burning Man Festival, to make some extra bucks off of the festival-goers, telling their fortunes. There she meets a guy named Ben and there is a serious attraction. The only thing is, a couple of weeks, Lala will be married, as is the family custom deal. Ben is headed to college in San Diego and the whole town is closing down.
The book taught me a lot about the Romani people. It is an excellent coming-of-age and self-discovery book. The characters are wonderfully well-drawn and I know that this will be a popular book, easy to recommend. Great, great stuff!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment