What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, March 11, 2018

David Levithan and Roxane Gay

I think that David Levithan would enjoy parts of Hunger:  A Memoir of (My) Body by Roxane Gay.  He would probably be very happy with the reports of the prejudice and pain that a person of size has endured. 
Last week I heard him interviewed on MashReads he was talking about his book Every Day and the fact that it is becoming a movie.  Oh, actually it is a movie!  I didn't hear much about it, but that doesn't mean anything!  I am not very aware of pop culture! 
Anyway.  It was interesting because he did bring up the issue of being accused of fat shaming.  But it was amazing to me how he dismissed it.  Not so much that he denied it, as he did when he had a Facebook messaging conversation with me when the book came out, but that he played it off as a big misunderstanding and that he wasn't doing that and blah blah.  But then as we have seen in his writing, he does the same thing in the next book. 
But I don't want to make this all about David Levithan.  I just want to recommend it to him.
Maybe he will learn something.
This is an incredible book.  I heard an interview with Roxane Gay and I know she doesn't want people to be all like "she gets me" and all of that mushy stuff and I respect that, but man, I did relate to this book.  And I hope that is okay. 
I know that Ms. Gay doesn't want or need the respect and praise and good feelings of a no one like me.  But man, she has it.  I know that my opinion of her intelligence and bravery don't matter, but man, I just want to say to anyone who is thinking about reading this book-- please read it.  It is very powerful and very wow.  And yeah, I do think that Ms. Gay is brave and brilliant and has written an incredible book here.  And I know that my thanks won't ever be read by her but I am just putting it out there.  As someone who was once 338 lbs is now 121 but may very well be 338lbs or 38lbs or 538lbs one day, I really resonated with this book. 
I don't love food, like Ms. Gay says she does, though.  I hate food.  I hate that I want it and need it and use it.  I am working on it.  But that is neither here nor there.  This is just a fantastic book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment