What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, June 30, 2016

What was it...

I am just not sure what it was about this book that made me not like it very much.  Every time I don't like a book, I try to find a way to like it.  Chasing Secrets was just...rushed maybe?  Or maybe it was "this could be so good!" or "oh man it is so ALMOST there" that it is a bigger disappointment that it doesn't rise to that possibility and so I end up being harder on it than I would otherwise.

I mean, here is something totally new to me, anyway.  I had no idea about the plague being in San Francisco.  But I just couldn't get into as much as I should have.  The main character, Lizzie, is thirteen and the daughter of a doctor.  He is this super-peaceful dude who doesn't charge people who can't pay him.  Lizzie's mom is dead.  She has an other brother who is a bit of a rebel.  The family lives with her aunt and uncle who are part of high society, her uncle runs a newspaper, the rival of which is owned by Hearst.

There is a lot that is really good in this book.  For some reason, it just didn't move me all that much.  But I would still recommend it.  It probably was just me.  Maybe I just listened to it too quickly.

I mean there was a lot here, the whole idea of yellow journalism, the treatment of Chinese immigrants, classicism, women's rights, you name it, you know?  I just didn't it went deep enough on any one theme or issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment