What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, October 10, 2016

Do You Have a Book About a Shrunken Head?

Before there were ways to track calls so easily, I admit I did my share of (hopefully) harmless prank calling.  Not too many and just people I knew and most of the time I would reveal myself before hanging up, or at least the next day.  One time my brother and I pranked the local library- where I worked.  For some reason my brother did the talked and sing-songily asked, "Do you have a book (two beats) about a shrunken head?"  I wonder if he remembers that.  I wonder why I do!
In any case, when I saw that The Shrunken Head was a book by Lauren Oliver, whose books I have enjoyed a great deal, was available for a listen, I borrowed it!  Visiting her website just now, I see I am quite behind with her new offerings!  That is the price I pay for usually only listening now.  This is the first in a series called The Curiosity House,  I had creepy feelings about reading it.  The whole exploitation of "freaks" idea was nagging at me throughout most of it.  And I read this, regarding AHS: Freak Show, which I very much enjoyed.  Which led me to this.   Which led me to this.
So this was a tricky book.  However, there was nothing offensive in that the characters all were described in respectful ways.   It just didn't quite grab me.

No comments:

Post a Comment