What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Never Heard of Zora Neale Hurston????

When I was looking on goodreads.com about Zora and Me I noticed that someone said they had never heard of Zora Neale Hurston.  This very much surprised me.  Obviously, I am not the most educated of book bloggers.  My degrees are in criminal justice, library science and ministry.  And when I take those Books You Should Have Read quizzes, I always end up on the VERY low end.  But Zora Neale Hurston?  Seriously?  As an undergrad I read her.  I mean, come on?  Anyway, it made me feel a little better about my reading history to see that someone had not heard of her, but it makes me feel bad for the people who haven't heard of her, or read her stuff.  It was Zora's name in the title that drew me to this fictional tale of Hurston's childhood, seen through the eyes of a fictional best friend, Carrie.  I am also really surprised at the low ratings of this book.  I can understand folks who say they don't think kids would enjoy it, whatever, but when I rate a book, I rate it on my enjoyment of it, and I can't see someone not enjoying this beautiful, yet dark, story of childhood in Eatonville, FL.  I recommend it highly.  Tough story, but great story.

No comments:

Post a Comment