What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, March 5, 2018

Famous

I guess one way to tell if someone is REALLY famous is if they have a Who Was/Is book written about them!  This time I read about Laura Ingalls Wilder, which I didn't enjoy at all.  I didn't like the use of "Indian" and I also just find LIW to be so not my thing, so it was hard to get through this one.  I appreciate that the Little House books address the stories of Native Americans in the books on their website.  But man...I don't know.  Check out that link.  It's important.
I also read Who Is Bob Dylan?  Now I don't like Mr. Dylan that much at all.  I mean, after reading the book.  What I did like was that the author didn't hold back from the reader, you know?  We were told about the crappy way that Dylan treated people.  So I gave this book 5 stars, but the Wilder one only 1 star because it didn't mention the Native American component at all.  Does that make sense?  This happened after the Dylan book was published. The jerkery continues!
I then moved on to Frida Kahlo and I knew about her from my art history classes in college and also from the movie.  Fascinating and super talented woman.
Next was Claude Monet and I knew a lot about him and I am so impressed by this whole series at this point!  Except for the LIW stuff.  Picasso was next.  And I loved that the author didn't do what the LIW book's author did and sugar coat the darker side of Picasso.  Next was Maria Tallchief.  I knew her name and am embarrassed to say, I didn't know anything else.  The last artist Who Was I read was about Andy Warhol.  I really enjoyed this one, not just because he was from Pittsburgh, but just because he was an interesting man.

No comments:

Post a Comment