What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Kill the Music

I really had a hard time listening to The Haymeadow, not because of the book itself.  I mean, it's Gary Paulsen!  But because the audio is terrible!  Not the reader, it's John-Boy Walton, Richard Thomas.  I wonder if he hates being known as John-Boy, or if he is glad this has made him kinda immortal.  I think I would like that, my ego and all.  Even if I was linked to a particular character.  He does a great job.  It's that there is this super-annoying music that plays over top of a lot of his narration!  Maybe some people like this?  I don't.
In any case, if you have seen Brokeback Mountain, you will understand what John Barron is doing in this book.
I mean, kinda.
I mean, not the interpersonal stuff.
But the taking the sheep to a different place for the long winter kinda thing.
This is another short, great book from Paulsen.  I love the father-son-grandfather angle and also the part about the original sheep herder's illness.  In just a few words, Paulsen says so much to one's heart.  More words don't make a book better, Mr. King.

No comments:

Post a Comment