What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, September 24, 2018

If Not for the One Story

I don't know.  I did like this book.  Who can NOT like a book that says really great things about Mr. Rogers, right?  The Simple Faith of Mr. Rogers is just that though.  Simple.  And I don't mean that in a bad way.  Faith is both simple and complex.  But I just can't help but think that Mr. Rogers didn't have a simple faith. 
Maybe he did.  I guess it depends on how one defines simple.  But this book could be titled the REALLY REALLY simple faith of Mr. Rogers and seem more accurate.  Because this book is REALLY REALLY simple.
I mean, come on..."toast sticks."
I don't know. 
Maybe just want to reinvent Mr. Rogers in my own image.  I want him to have been a big supporter of LBGTQ issues and was super sad to learn that he told François Clemmons that he had to stay in the closet and even encouraged him to get married.  Here it is in Clemmons' own words.  And he is gracious about it all.  And I know it was a different time.  I know that.  But I also know that it still makes me sad. 
Clemmons did say that Rogers said this:
...I want you to know, Franc, that if you’re gay, it doesn’t matter to me at all. Whatever you say and do is fine with me, but if you’re going to be on the show, as an important member of the Neighborhood, you can’t be ‘out’ as gay. People must not know … Many of the wrong people will get the worst idea, and we don’t want them thinking and talking about you like that. If those people put up enough fuss, then I couldn’t have you on the program. It’s not an issue for me. I don’t think you’re less of a person. I don’t think you’re immoral...
Maybe this article speaks more of my feelings.  It does reveal that Mr. Rogers was human, it says.  And yes, he was.  I just wanted him to be a little less human.  And that's not fair me.
I like this artlce, too.    And this one.
But at the same time, then, shouldn't I be among those who are mad that they changed the Laura Ingalls Wilder Award name
Well, I think Mr. Rogers would support the name change.  I do.  And I think he wouldn't want an award named after himself, either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment