What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, November 14, 2016

Not What I Expected-- Even Better!

When I lived with my buddy Nancy Lou, her son and daughter-in-law and their little daughter lived Morning Side Heights on the Upper West Side. Their daughter went to St. Hilda's and St. Hugh's, then to Spence then to Emory. So to me, a lower-than-average-smart, very middle class suburbanite, I found stories from their lives fascinating.
When I saw Primates of Park Avenue, I thought for sure it would be a fun, guilty-pleasure tell-all kinda book.  And that was great!  But it was SO much more.  Now this book is set on the Upper East Side, and there are so many opinions about which better, and for what reasons.  Just google UES vs UWS to see.
The title wasn't meant to just be provocative, it really IS a primate study, told through a semi-academic lens.  I say "semi" because the author, Wednesday Martin, whom I liked immediately admits she is not a trained anthropologist. Of course there has been controversy over the book.  But all I can say is, I really, really enjoyed this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment