What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, March 7, 2019

The Winner!

This year's Newbery Winner was Merci Suárez Changes Gears.  For the past few years I have been following this group on Goodreads, but this year I decided that I won't do it just because last year there quite a few that I was unable to read because they were not available on audio.  It's a great group!  And if you can read a book and don't have to listen to it, you will really enjoy the group!  It has a lot of great members and everyone has great insight.  I don't think that this was one of the books that the group read last year, but I have to say, I found it to be very Newbery-Worthy.  It certainly was no 1954.  But I didn't like Merci all that much as a character.  But again, that probably just means it was a very well-written, realistic portrayal of a "real" person.   I still think Ghost Boys was my pick and I am surprised it didn't get named as an honor even.  But that's the way the Newbery goes sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment