What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, February 8, 2018

I didn't realize

that The Culture Code:  the secrets of highly successful groups was a business book, a how-to, leadership kind of book.  I enjoy those books and don't read them as much as I should, probably, but I don't know if I would have read this one had I know what it was.  I thought it was more of a study of culture and group behavior, with a pop-sociology pop-cultural anthropology bent, rather than a business POV.  And it definitely is more than a business/leadership book, so it did satisfy what I was looking for from that end, and more than satisfy, I really, really enjoyed this book.  It made me once again take tine to reflect upon how lucky I have been to work where I have worked.  I have been the "leaders" in two jobs and I have been THE LUCKIEST GIRL IN THE WORLD because the people I "lead" have been UNREAL, INCREDIBLE people.  It was so hard to leave my first leadership role job, and I even got the names of the ladies with whom I worked tattooed on my arm!   I have never regretted that.  They are always in my heart and now always on my body!
I put "lead" in quotes because while I take full responsibility, and know that the buck stops with me, I feel like I learn something from them every day. 
I have just been so so so so lucky.  And so when I read this book about succesful groups it was really cool because it was like Daniel Coyle could have done a chapter on the Youth Services Department of the Bethel Park Library and the Youth Services Department of the Shaler North Hills Library because they have created groups where we all feel the three key things that Coyle believes a successful team will feel:  we are connected, we are safe, we share a future.
I really want to read The Talent Code:  greatness is not born, it's grown, next.   Great stories about work life at Pixar and Zappos.  I don't know much about the NBA but learning about Gregg Popvich was truly inspiring to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment