What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Lucky Find!

Our local middle school librarian found herself with a copy of Stoned:  Jewelry, Obsession and How Desire Shapes the World.  Knowing middle school kids, she knew right away that the title would be provocative.  For sure. But also, the book was an adult book.  Some high school kids MIGHT like it, maybe, but that would be a big maybe, but this was not for seventh and eighth graders.  But when I started looking at the book I thought it sounded really interesting and so I bought it on audible and man, I am so glad I stumbled on to this!  Heavy on a lot of history that I didn't know, I found this to be fascinating and am going to suggest it for our non-fiction book group next time.  Aja Raden is a professional jewelry designer, but this is about more than jewelry.  It's about Armand Hammer, and the Dutch buying the Manhattan and Fabergé eggs and Marie Antoinette and so much more.  Great, great and very interesting book!

No comments:

Post a Comment