What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Every Book

Every book offers its own special something, right? I mean, that's the idea.  Why write a book if it is has all been done and said before, even though some say it all has been said.  The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire is something about which I have read a lot.  But Triangle:  The Fire that Changed America taught me a lot about it that I didn't know.   I read this for my nonfiction book club and I was glad I did even though when the group picked it, I thought, oh man, I know about this.  I didn't know a lot of this stuff!  It made me sick of course, again, when I thought about the owners and how they locked in their workers.  And then how the rotten lawyer got them off.
It made me think, why some people who are abused, either as children or in an abusive relationship end up abusing people and why some who are abused don't.  Blanck and Harris were both poor immigrants.  Their evil lawyer, Steuer was also.  They all had toiled in garment factories like those who died in the fire.
Then on the other side, there were wealthy people who fought for the rights of the poor and labor.  Like Florence Harriman and Anne Morgan and Mary Drier?  So what makes someone like Harriman, without a need for money, ever, care about the poor, while a man like Donald Trump (I won't dignify him by including a link.) does not?  Is it a matter of character?  It seems so.
Anyway, very, very good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment