What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Sewickley!

I was actually sitting in my car, in Sewickley, just before work, listening to Wolf Hollow when I heard the narrator say, "Moreover, we did eat at Lancaster's in Sewickley twice a year."
That was very exciting!   Because I didn't realize that the book was set in Pennsylvania before hearing that!  Later on the book does make mention of Pittsburgh and Aliquppa, too.  But it was very exciting to hear "Sewickley" while in Sewickley!
Wolf Hollow is getting Newbery buzz.  And I did like Wolf Hollow.  And I do wonder if it will win the Newbery.  But man, it just wasn't all I thought it would be.
I agree with people who have said it was reminiscent of To Kill a Mockingbird. But that's the thing, it was a too too too much like TKAM.  And it also was a little too much like Stepping on the Cracks.  To be totally WOW for me.  I wasn't sucked in or blown away.  But it was good.  It just wasn't WOW.  3 of 5 stars for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment