What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, April 10, 2017

Short Series

Tears of a Tiger and Forged by Fire are two of the three books in the Hazelwood High series by Sharon M. Draper.
Tears of a Tiger was a challenge for me.  I am militant in my disgust for drunk drivers.  I admit that I have no compassion or understanding about it at all.  Yes, I judge completely when it comes to this.  To me, one makes a choice to get behind the wheel when drunk.  And that is like taking a gun and shooting it into a crowd.  Only even more dangerous because one stray bullet can most likely only kill or hurt one person, whereas a vehicle out on the road, driven by a drunk driver?  Many people can die or be injured for life.
As I have mentioned here, I call the police when I see someone driving as though they might be drunk.
In TOAT, Andy is drunk.  And he is driving and he wrecks the car and his best friend dies.  Andy's life is over, too, pretty much, as he can't live with what he has done.  I was surprised that I found myself feeling compassion for him.  And also guilt for feeling compassion.  And also guilt for not feeling compassion.  And surprise and shock and anger at the teachers and coaches and friends and counselors who did have compassion for Andy.
I really like this guy's article.   How does it work with being a Christian though?  It's so hard!!!!!!!!  But these were really, really good books.  Love Sharon Draper.  Love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment