What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Friday, May 13, 2016

Houses

The House by Christina Lauren was a book whose cover just sucked me in at the bookstore and so I had to get it on audio, due to my aging eyeballs.  I just discovered that Christina Lauren is actually two people!
My first attempt to listen, I don't think I was paying careful attention and so I gave up.  I really thought it was just a bad book, but there was just something that drew me back to it and I am SO glad!
The book alternates HIM and HER and I love books like that.  I also like the pacing of the book.  I haven't read a book with this concept before and I just found it very creepy.
The house Gavin lives in is more than a house.  It is his family.  It is the being that raised him.  I wonder if right-wingers would be more approving of a child being raised by a house or a same gender couple or a mixed race couple.  Remember the Cheerios commercial that drew so much criticism?
Very good book and it kept my attention and made me cringe at some points even.  Like when the house would reach out to Gavin to cuddle him...creepy...very creepy....
This is for older kids and just as a warning, there is sex in it.  Not described in too much detain, but enough that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone under 17.  Am I getting old?  I don't think so.  I am not being critical.  I think it is well done and tasteful, but I just couldn't had this to a kid under 17.

No comments:

Post a Comment