What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Excellent

Words in Deep Blue was exceptional.  I know this because it was one of those rare books, though not set in America, kept my interest and attention.
In this book there are many things that really made me think.  And I really did love the characters.
Here is something that stuck with me:

An older man is talking to a young girl whose brother died while swimming in the ocean.  He speaks to her about the loss of his wife of many years.

"You have told me that the ocean is the most beautiful thing you have ever seen, and yet it is the thing that terrifies you the most.  This is how I felt when I fell in love with Alayna.  Perhaps all things that we love also terrify us."

I am not sure how I feel about this.  I can certainly understand that loving someone can be terrifying.  At the beginning, when we open our hearts to someone there is always the fear that our love will be rejected, either kindly or harshly, it doesn't matter.  But once that love is accepted, it seems to me that while there is always fear, the fear is less so potent.  When I officiate at a wedding ceremony I always tell the couple, "You have probably heard pastors or PJs or rabbis say that marriage will be hard, that there will be hard times ahead, that the wedding, the party after, is the easy part.  And then he or she will challenge you to be ready for the hard times ahead.  I agree.  There will be tough times ahead.  For sure.  Life is hard.  But I believe that the hardest part is over.  Finding someone with whom you can share your life, is the hard part.  Once you have done this something changes.  All of the difficult times, all of the challenges and pain ahead- all of that is cut in half, because now you have someone who will share your burdens.  Now you have someone who will weather the storms along side you.  And now that you have found someone all of your joy is doubled, as is your strength for the journey ahead.  The hardest times are over.  You will not face the hard times alone.  You will have someone with whom you will share joy.  You will delight in your own joy and then have the perhaps even more joyful experience of seeing the one whom you love feel joy as well."

Well, I don't say it EXACTLY like that.  But you get the idea.

So fear might still exist when one finds love, but it is half the fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment