What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, May 6, 2018

It gets a little old when,



like Joyce Carol Oats, Barbara Ehrenreich loves to remind us that she doesn't believe in God.  If you read my blog with regularity (um that would be no one!) you will know that I am not anti-atheist.  If that is someone's path, that is someone's path!  I am believe that God is totally cool with that and loves the atheist, too, just like He loves the Pope, saints, me, you, everyone.  What bugs me is that Barbara Ehrenreich just beats and beats and beats the reader over the head with her atheism.  Now I understand that is probably unfair of me.  Certainly there are authors who beat and beat and beat and beat the reader over the head with their Judaism, their Christianity, etc. 
And here's the thing, years ago I read Nickel and Dimed and it was fantastic and important.  And I agree with Ms. Ehrenreich's politics.  I mean, I would like to have dinner with this brilliant woman.  It's just that Natural Causes:  An Epidemic of Wellness, the Certainty of Dying, and Killing Ourselves to Live Longer was SO good in some places.  It was!  So it kinda made me sad that even though Ms. Ehrenreich is a woman of age (according her, I'm saying this- the admits that she is "old enough to die" in the book, which I think is such a cool concept) she STILL has to rant like a 24 year-old about her absolute certainty that God does not exist.  How can someone live so long and be so brilliant, as she clearly is, that she doesn't even entertain the possibility that God might exist?  Ah well.  Still I can recommend this book.  There's a lot to think about here.  It's just that wow, give it a break, lady.  You are brighter than this!

No comments:

Post a Comment