What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, April 21, 2016

See You...

In September of 2005 my best friend went home to be with the Lord after a long battle with cancer.  She was diagnosed with it fifteen years prior and given four months to live.
When my dear friend Nancy was transitioning from labor to Reward, I drove to Dallas to say goodbye for now.  It was hard, oh so hard, but Nancy had lived a long life and worked hard and played hard and was ready to meet her God.
Today I attended the funeral of a young girl who met her God much too soon.
Last year I wept and still weep for the loss of a girl who went from her mother's womb to Christ's arms and spread more joy in the nine months prior to her birth than I will if I live to be 100.  This was the hardest loss of all.
When I left Nancy in Dallas I said to her, "See you soon.," and she said, "Yes, I will see you." and we knew we wouldn't see each other in this life, but we knew we will see each other again.
See You at Harry's is about a tragic loss of life, told from the POV of a Fern, a middle school girl whose brother dies in an accident.  He is also the face and voice of his family's little local restaurant, Harry's and his tagline/catch phrase is "See you at Harry's."  Fern points out that now that he is gone, this is a lie.
A very, very, very well done book.  My dear friend Rebekah said that she felt that the author, Jo Knowles just BOOM, LANDED the girl's voice, the and she really, really did.

No comments:

Post a Comment