What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Adult Books

I don't read too many adult books.  I am not in an adult nonfiction book group though and slogging through The Medici:  Money, Power and Ambition in the Italian Renaissance.  I really needed a break!  And so I chose Good Mourning. A memoir about the funeral industry!  Elizabeth Meyer is a socialite! Wouldn't it be fun to be a socialite!  And she is a super-likable one, in my opinion.  My mom is a strong believer in the idea that money can do anything.  Yes she knows that it can't prolong life, but it can make life much better.  Meyer says that the uber-wealthy still grieve.  And that is very true.  But I guess my mom would say it is better to grieve while not worrying about where you are going to sleep that night or where your next meal is coming from, than to grieve as a homeless person.  I think that is probably true.  Still, the wealthy do grieve.  And no one is free of the pain that comes from losing someone they love.  That is true, too.  I do recommend this book and wish we had picked it instead of the Medici!   Meyer worked at the Frank E. Campbell Funeral Home on Madison Ave. in NYC.  All of the rich and famous have their funerals at Campbell.  Judy did.  So did Joan.  I probably won't.  I will be at Neely.

No comments:

Post a Comment