What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, January 11, 2018

Being David Levithan

Remember that movie Being John Malkovich?  I liked that movie.  This Impossible Light would be another hard one for David Levithan, I bet.  He would really love parts of it, I bet!  But like The Art of Starving, her goal to be thinner and thinner and thinner is seen as a bad thing!  Oh Mr. Levithan, when will the world understand that completely inclusive acceptance isn't for EVERYONE!
This was a painful read for me in a different way from Crooked Saints.  It was like The Art of Starving.  I could really identify with the thoughts going through this young gal's head.
The problem that I had with it was that it wrapped up so quickly, like when Dorothy had CFS.  But maybe that does happen for some people with eating disorders and we don't know what happened, but it did seem like she made a lot of headway in a little time.  Which is great for her!   But I just wonder how realistic?  I am not sure, but it feels a little fast.  Jason Reyond's books often leave things really out there...MAJOR cliffhangers.  And that is something I LOVE and LOATHE!  And also what makes them so great.  I am not saying that the book had to get all Reyonldsy with the ending, but a little more time?  A little more uncertainty?  I don't know.  But I could recommend it.  Just not a Printz for me.  Lily Myers has a big following and experience with the issue, so maybe I am completely wrong about it needing to take more time?

No comments:

Post a Comment