What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

One Wish

Man.  As You Wish was really, really good!  I really loved this book.  Eldon describes himself as a jerk in the book and his friends and ex-girlfriend even make mention of his self-centered nature, but I have to say that I didn't find him to be an unlikable guy at all. 
The whole book takes place in Madison where there is a Wishing Cave and everyone gets one wish when they turn 18.  Eldon is about to turn 18 and has no idea what his wish should be and is even suspicious that the whole wish thing is a bad thing and only leads to ruin.  Indeed, in the examples he shares, one can totally see why he would draw this conclusion!  Can you imagine a town like this? 
I mean, I have often lamented the fact that teens are supposed to know what they want to do when they are 18 and graduating high school and heading to careers or college or military service.  And 18 seems so young.  Can you imagine getting to (having to) make a wish that could impact your whole future.  And indeed, it IS their whole future.  People don't leave Madison.  They stay in town and live out their lives before them, some of whom have had their wishes impact their lives in HUGE ways.  So much to think about here.
I was surprised that Chelsea Sedoti also wrote The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett which I really didn't like very much at all, mostly because I found the main character so awful.  But I really, really, really liked this book so much! 

No comments:

Post a Comment