What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Friday, March 19, 2010

A Pleasant Suprise

As you know by now from reading my reviews, I am not a serious book critic. I don't know all of the "best" authors and I don't love all of the "beloved books", still I am embarrassed to say that I had never before read a book by An Na. In fact, I don't think I had heard of her before my friend Crazy Lynn told me about one of her books while we were playing bingo at St. Valentine's Church. The other day I needed a book to listen to in the car and I found Wait for Me sitting on the shelf. I am so glad that I needed a book right then. This book is a little gem. A very quick read, or listen, in my case- and not something I probably would have sought out.
Wait is the story of Mina, a soon-to-be high school senior, the daughter of Korean immigrants who own and run a dry cleaning store. Mina has a hearing impaired little sister, who seems to be ignored by their mother. Mina take responsibility for looking out for her little sister. She also is under a lot of pressure from her mom to get straight As, go to Harvard and pretty much be the perfect daughter that her mom never was.
Mina tries her hardest to live up to her mother's demands, but then she meets a young Mexican boy who wins her heart and causes her to begin to question the way she has been living. He encourages her to live her own dreams.
The struggle that Mina goes through, trying to decide how to please her mother and be true to herself, is one that many people go through. This book gives great insight into the lives of the children of immigrants and it is just an all around great coming of age story that deals with some heavy issues.
So yes, I am embarrassed that I had never been into An Na before, but now you can bet I will be going back and reading everything about and by her that I can find. Great little book.

No comments:

Post a Comment