What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Oddly Normal

As I mentioned before, I'm a fan of Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas series. I've listened to or read them all so far, but for some reason I missed In Odd We Trust, the graphic novel based on the character of Odd, an ordinary fry cook who makes wonderful pancakes and sees dead people. Odd uses his gift to help the police in his small city of Pico Mundo, CA. He sees lots of interesting dead people, Elvis, is one, but more often, the dead come to Odd so that he can help them attain justice. In Odd We Trust, a young boy is murdered and Odd, and his girlfriend, Stormy, help the police track down the killer. The comic is well drawn, and like the books, contains humor, as well as suspense. Fans of Odd Thomas will enjoy this quick read, but it is hard for me to look at it without all of the information I have about Oddie, and all of my warm feelings for him, influencing my appraisal of this graphic novel. To me, it was enjoyable and worth recommending. I hope that others, long time fans of Odd or not, will feel the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment