What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I Love Candy

I have never seen The Hills. To be perfectly honest, I had never heard of it prior to reading L.A. Candy. I'd never heard of Lauren Conrad, either. But as I've mentioned a million times, I love L.A. When I saw the title and read the jacket I thought, why not. And you know what? I totally enjoyed this book. I enjoyed it 100 %. I think of all of the garbage that people rave over like Wintergirls and When You Reach Me and then I pick up a book like this that isn't pretending to be the next Newbery or Printz Winner and I think THIS is why I write this blog. So that I can share my honest, if unpopular opinions so that if someone picks up WYRM and thinks, "What a ridiculous, pretentious piece of junk in the tradition of Mom, the Wolfman and Me" they will not have to feel alone. And if someone else picks up L.A. Candy and says, "Man, I really liked that book." They will not have to feel ashamed.
I am NOT ASHAMED that I loved this book. And I am thrilled that it is a series! I have the second one, Sweet Little Lies on hold at the library and I can't wait to get it.
I have no idea if any part of this book is true. But I don't care. This is a seriously fun story about a young girl, Jane, and her best friend, Scarlet, who move to LA from Santa Barbara, but not to be come rich and famous. Scar is a freshman at USC and Jane is going to be an intern for one of LA's best event planners.
One night while out on the town a reality television producer spots the girls and offers them a role on the new reality show, LA Candy.
The cameras will follow them around and film them just as they are. Kind of like, Theodora Twist which I enjoyed so much.
There's a lot of romance and back-stabbing and dreams come true and dreams are crushed. Fantastic and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment