What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Finally

For some years now I have been trying to read Coraline.  I finally was successful in finishing the graphic novel.  I first tried to read it when a young librarian gave a book talk on it.  He did a wonderful job, but when I tried to read the actual book, after about three pages I gave up and shouted "BORING" never to return to it until the movie came out in 2009.  I tried again and came up with the same, resounding "BORING"!  I was sure I would never complete it, even though everyone just LOVES it.  When I saw the graphic novel I thought, heck, why not give it a try.
Well, I didn't love it, but I didn't find it BORING!  I did find it overrated.  Much like....The Graveyard Book Controversy (that apparently only exists in my mind).  It's fine.  It is.  Coraline is a girl who feels no one pays attention to her.  She finds a door in her family's flat that leads to nowhere, but then one day it leads to "somewhere" where her "other family" exists.  The other family...well, they ain't so nice.  Especially her "other mom" and so, you can probably guess what happens by the time Coraline's adventure is over.  If you just took a random guess, you would be right.  Yeah, it was ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment