What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Powerful

My trip to ALA Midwinter will take me through ten states, five of which I have not visited.  One of my new states is the big ole state of Texas.  Since I'll be driving, I thought it would be cool to listen to audiobooks set in the places I will see.  I found God's Man in Texas, a play by David Rambo, presented by the LA Theatre Works.  I put the book on hold and it came in before I left for my trip and I was so intrigued by it that I finished it before I left!  Thus, this was actually my last entry for 2010 and my first and only play of the year.
Wow.  That's one way to describe GMIT.  I just can't believe that I happened upon this play.  The actors who recorded it were amazing as well.
This was just an incredible story that hit very close to home for me, not just because of my years as a pastor but also in my current place spiritually.  The end left me speechless.
GMIT is the story of a young preacher who is being trained to the take the place of an older preacher.  The church is a mega church, complete with ball fields, bowling alleys, a preschool, elementary, middle and high school and college and of course, a tv show.
This is not a rip on the Christians kind of deal, but a real look at real people.  It reminded me of  one of my most favorite movies, The Apostle ,in some ways, not in the plot, but in the depiction of human nature.
Highly, highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment