What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

It's lonely and cold on the top....lonely and cold.

Judy Garland said that.  It's hard to believe if you don't know a lot about her personal life.  She was a very lonely woman.  I think it is because she gave so much of herself away to everyone else, she so very little left to give to Judy.
But I will write on that another day.  I guess I am just thinking of her, as the tenth of this month was her birthday and the Judy Garland Festival starts on Thursday in Grand Rapids.  I've never made it to the Festival, but maybe someday, God willing.
Famous actually has to do with the hazards of being such, so I chose that quote from Judy and so for once, the rambling relates to the book!
The cover is probably one of the worst I have seen in a very long time.  I almost bypassed the book completely because of the cover.  I thought the flash was some kind of 80s hair like that guy in Flock of Seagulls.  I am so glad that, for once, I didn't judge a book by its cover.  I do love Todd Strasser's books so I shouldn't have hesitated.  Told in multiple points of view it is mostly the story of Jamie a young celebrity photographer or member of the paparazzi, depending of your point of view.  Before she is even a junior in high school she has already sold her first cover to People magazine.  But now her career has slowed and so when she gets a chance to leave NYC for LA to spend Spring Break with Willow Twine, the "teenage" celebrity who has just come out of rehab, this is her big chance to get back into the spotlight again.
There are also the side stories of Jamie and her boyfriend and their relationship trouble and Jamie's best friend Avy, who is destined to become a star and willing to take big risks.
Good book, don't judge the book by its cover!

No comments:

Post a Comment