What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Glades

Karen's Alligator
If this book was written by Gary Paulsen, that would probably be the title.  Instead it has the much more dramatic title Lost in the River of Grass.  I chose to read it because like I mentioned in the previous post, my buddy Karen is in Florida now and she had traveled through the Glades.  I never considered myself a big wilderness/survival reader, and so I am glad that it worked out that Karen was down there and that her being there sparked my interest in the area, or else I might not have chosen to read this.  And that would have been very sad because this is a great book!  I read on the author's site that it is based on a true story!  Two teens from totally different worlds get stuck ten miles in the Everglades and have to walk out...and man...this is NOT the kind of place for a fun walk!  I liked how the story also is about the teens themselves and the ways in which they, especially the girl, Sarah (the book is written from her POV) grow during their trip.
I don't want to give too much away, but if you won't read a book in which a beloved pet dies...this book is miraculously safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment