What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, July 3, 2011

More than ten things....

Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) is the hilarious new book by Sarah Mlynowski.  I have been waiting so so so so long to get my hands on this book!  Finally I just bought it for my Kindle and read it on the BB and THEN the NEXT day it came in at the library for me!  But who cares!  By then I had read it and loved it.  April's folks are divorced and she is living with her father and step-mom.  Her mom and her little bro Matthew live in France with her mom's new man.  April's been through a lot, relationship-wise, obviously.  Add that to the fact that her dad and step-mom have just announced that they are moving to Cleveland.  April definately does NOT want to go. She has a steady guy and friends and well, she is tired of things changing.  She convinces her dad and step-mom to let her finish out the year living with Vi, a senior who lives with her mom right on the beach of Long Island.  Her folks don't know that Vi's mom won't be around much...at all really, as she is going on a national tour of Mary Poppins.  So Vi and April are on their own.  PARTY!  And party they do.  The book is set up just as the title suggests, chapters focusing on ten things that April and friends do and what happens as a result.  Hilarious but also a real, insightful look on trust and relationships and the "first time" and kids dealing with divorced parents and parents who aren't perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment