What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, August 8, 2011

Another good one coming out soon...


I am loving this whole netgalley.com thing.  The Girl in the Park by Mariah Fredericks isn’t due out until next April but I’ve got it on preorder for the library.  I’ve never read Fredericks before, but I will look for her books now.  Looking for a solid YA mystery?  The Girl in the Park is a great one.  Set in NYC it tells of the murder of Wendy Geller through the POV of her former best friend, Rain Donovan. 
Wendy was a party girl.  She loved being the center of attention, flirting with guys and stealing them from girls who treated her badly.   The whole boyfriend-stealing thing didn’t make her the most popular girl in her elite private school, and when she ends up in Central Park, the victim of sexual assault and strangulation, there’s a lot of blame-the victim going on. 
Even though she and Wendy had drifted apart, Rain feels guilty for not looking out for her friend and takes it upon herself to find the killer.  There are some decent and believable suspects.  Nico, the dangerous creep who had a brief fling with Wendy, is suspect number one. 
This book is a short and quick read and one that I had trouble putting down.  It might not be the most complex of mysteries, but it is definitely worth reading.  

No comments:

Post a Comment