What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

If I homeschooled my kids

Now first of all, there is NO way that I would ever homeschool my kids. Why?
The answer is simple, I don't have any kids.
But if I had kids, and if I homeschooled them, and if I picked up the book or listened to the audio version of What the Night Knows I would be so angry at Dean Koontz, I would probably write him a letter. I've heard people rip on homeschooling before but I have never, ever read anything that ripped on homeschoolers as much as this book. It is clear that Koontz is making a serious anti-homeschooling statement here. The three kids in this book, ages 13, 11 and 8 are the most backward and weird, strange kids that ever lived. There aren't kids like this in the real world. Well....the youngest one might be normal. But the other two? Oh my gosh. Koontz is headed for a lot of criticism from homeschool parents with this kind of stuff. It is really ridiculous.
If you can get past that, this book is pretty decent. It drags in places, but it is scary. I haven't been able to sleep well ever since I started listening to it, and I think that says a lot about its scare-factor.
John is a robbery homicide detective with a sorrowful past. When he was just teenager the rest of his family was murdered by a true monster who committed ritual family killings of the most graphic and grisly kind. Koontz has a seriously twisted imagination and a great way with words. Twenty years later, across the country, in John's community it appears that the same ritual murders are taking place, even though the killer of John's family was killed all those years ago.
Like Koontz's other books, the reason is supernatural, the spirit of the serial killer, the "Rider" finds away to attach himself to others who then go and commit horrific acts similar to the killing of John's family. Now John fears that his own wife and children will be next.
The "Rider" was a little too close of a term to "Dark Passenger" for me, and I would have thought that Koontz would have come up with a better term for it, just because has been used with Dexter.

No comments:

Post a Comment