What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Jumpy


When I read Jumped I admit that I wasn't in a good frame of mind for reading. I think that I would have enjoyed and appreciated it more if I had been. I was in the ER and writing and answering texts and talking to my dad and medical people and wondering why everyone was so super nice except for the one mean nurse and then I was off on wondering why she was in nursing. And then I was trying to read Jumped on the BlackBerry Kindle app it just wasn't sticking with me. I loved, loved, loved, One Crazy Summer, also by Rita Williams-Garcia. It is one of my all-time favorite books and should have won the Newbery two years ago, but it was too good. So I bet anything if I had read Jumped at a different time, I would have loved, loved, loved it as well! I will reread it again in a few months and I bet that's just what will happen.
Jumped is told from the POV of three high school girls: Leticia, a girl who doesn't want to get involved in other people's business and who calls her cell phone Celina (which I LOVE...totally going to call my BB Celina from now on), Dominique, who is a basketball player and currently benched because of her grades and Trina, who is a bouncy, artsy girl with lots of love for everyone and a lot going on in her head. It takes place one day at school when Trina ticks off Dominique without realizing it. Dominique is going to beat her up after school, but Trina has no clue. Leticia knows it is going to happen, but doesn't want to get involved. Throughout the day we learn more about each of the girls as they share their feels. The jumping POVS, I usually love, but given my state of mind, I just felt jumpy.
I look forward to rereading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment