What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Whatever

So The Haunting of Hill House has been called one of the best literary ghost stories of the twentieth century. It was also a finalist for the National Book Award. There are have two major movies based on the book, The Haunting in 1963 and The Haunting is 1999.
I don't know.
It just didn't do it for me.
That's terrible, isn't it? And it probably says more about my taste than the book, because everyone loves The Haunting of Hill House. It's a classic. It's on the list of every horror writer's favorite books. And it is literary.
But I can't lie, and I can't pretend it held up over the years. And I can't pretend that I wasn't annoyed by the characters and disappointed that they all didn't perish! (Okay, that is an exaggeration...kinda).
IMHO, it is self-important, boring and not scary at all. The whole love thing between the two women is ridiculous and so tiresome. If Jackson wanted to write a book about two women and their repressed sexuality, then she just should have and not tired to make it into a horror novel so that people who are looking for a horror novel wouldn't have to suffer through something so totally uninteresting. Some parts are funny, but this was just a pure waste of time for me. Yawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment