What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Awesome Song - Awesome Book and They ARE Related!

Imagine my excitement to find out that Every You, Every Me by David Levithan got its title from the song Every You, Every Me by Placebo, which was the reason I was drawn to the book and is an AMAZING song that I have LOVED for years! Years! So I read the whole book and in the author notes, there...right there...it says that the title come from the song and Placebo's music influenced the book! After all of this time trying to connect songs to books, sometimes it working, sometimes...not so much, it really happened for real! Hooray and happy dance!
So the deal is....you must read the book and you must listen to the song! Your world will be much richer for doing so!
This is such a great book...so depressing, but so good.
Evan's best friend Ariel is gone. We don't know where she has gone, but we know that Evan is broken about her being gone and he feels responsible. She was up and down. She was manic, she was depressed. She loved life. She wanted to die. At some point, in the woods, Evan and Jack, Ariel's boyfriend made a decision and now Ariel is gone. We don't know details until the end of the book, and it really keeps you going and going.
The book is based on photos by Jonathan Farmer. Farmer took the photos, sent them to Levithan and Levithan wrote around the stories. Farmer didn't know what Levithan was writing. The result was this incredible book. Here's a nifty little interview for more details. So the book was written in a similar way to Miss Peregrin, but not exactly. I can't find a site for Farmer right now but I will keep looking.
Great book!! Read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment